TEEN LINE - Los Angeles - Cedar-Sinai Medical Center
Founded nearly 30 years ago, teen listeners, trained by TEEN LINE, answer calls each night from troubled teens about a full range of issues, from problem relationships to drug abuse, depression, pregnancy and suicide. The teen listeners help callers define their problems, explore options and if needed, provide referrals to local resources. TEEN LINE's Community Outreach Program takes teen panels directly into schools and community groups to open dialogues and educate teenagers about topics pertinent to adolescents - peer pressure, gangs, drug and alcohol abuse, self-esteem and suicide prevention. TEEN LINE is an affiliated program of Cedar-Sinai Medical Center's Department of Psychiatry.
- More than 10,000 calls/emails/Live Chat to the hotline annually
- 140 teens and 25 adult mental health professionals volunteer their time each year - a total of more than 20,000 volunteer hours for 2009
- More than 35,000 area teenagers attend TEEN LINE outreach presentations to schools and community groups annually
- Specialized TEEN LINE Outreaches include: Suicide Prevention, Growing Up Gay, Alcohol & Drug Abuse Prevention, At-Risk Youth, Teen Dating Violence
- TEEN LINE's Teen Suicide Prevention training has been part of the regular curriculum for the Los Angeles Police Department's Juvenile Procedures School since 1996.
- TEEN LINE's Youth Yellow Pages, distributed to over one million area youth since its first edition was introduced in 1994, is a resource handbook written specifically for teenagers. Updated every 2 years, it provides information about more than 300 available community resources. Educational brochures are also published on topics relevant to teens including Cyber Harm.
- TEEN LINE is certified by the American Association of Suicidology and is officially associated with the National Hopeline Network and the National Lifeline Network.
Project Dates: Friday, Jan 1, 2010 to Sunday, Jan 1, 2012
- Location of Project:
- Los Angeles, California
- Number of Adults:
- Number of Students:
- People Impacted:
- TEEN LINE
P.O. Box 48750
Los Angeles , CA 90048-0750
- School/Org. Contact:
- Elaine Leader, Ph.D
- Organization Type:
- Other Non-Profit Organization
- Number of Visits:
- YouTube® Views*:
- Sent To a Friend:
- 2 times